NYR Prospects & AHL

• One game probably isn't a fair measure but none of these guys are ready for the NHL.

To my eye, Robertson looked the best. Jones is physically more solid now but still makes a lot of mistakes and was not much of a PP QB. He played limited minutes 5 on 5 to give the true rookies more of a look but still managed to throw a mindless blind pass out of the D zone that turned into the first Flyers goal when he then screened the goalie.

• One game probably isn't a fair measure but none of these guys are ready for the NHL.

To my eye, Robertson looked the best. Jones is physically more solid now but still makes a lot of mistakes and was not much of a PP QB. He played limited minutes 5 on 5 to give the true rookies more of a look but still managed to throw a mindless blind pass out of the D zone that turned into the first Flyers goal when he then screened the goalie.

Clearly anti-Virginia bias!

Kidding. I think there are benefits to both winning the job. Jones winning hopefully gives the Rangers a left handed defensive compliment to the second PP unit so they don't have to play a forward up high. My biggest red flag with Jones is that his play dropped off badly at the end of last season. Hopefully these rookie games are not an indication of his upside.

Meanwhile, Robertson provides a more traditional third pair guy who gives the Rangers a couple of bangers. Can he move the puck out of the defensive zone and through the neutral zone smoothly? Otherwise there are worries when they are on the ice. It isn't the same league where you can roll out two Jay Wells as your third pair (and even back then, the Rangers paired Wells with Karpotsev or Lidster.)

Did Othman or Cuylle piss a drop? I just have a nagging suspicion that they are going to give Trivingo a shot as the "outmanned but big hustle" guy that everyone falls in love with every five years or so. Whoever makes it has to do so on the cheap.