NYR Prospects & AHL

• Rangers announce their Prospect Development Camp Roster

https://www.foreverblueshirts.…-player-development-camp/

Every year I like looking at the free agents brought in and Michael Gildon is perhaps the most intriguing prospect brought in due to the fact he was a surprised undrafted player this year with McKeen's Hockey, Elite Prospects and the Athletic's Corey Pronman all had him ranked somewhere between 73 and 84 in their respective rankings.

Here's Pronman's report on him:

Michael Gildon, 6'2 194 from USNTDP

Skating: Slightly below NHL average

Puck skills: above NHL average

Physical game: Above NHL average

Hockey sense: Above NHL average

Fine season and often lined up as the LW with Hughes and Caufield. Possesses no "wow" factor to this game, but has above average skill, vision and has good puck possession with his body. Has two-way ability and can be a guy who wins battles to make a play. Biggest issue is his heavy feet, but not the worst stride out there.

My take: Overall, seems like he was undrafted because he lacks that upside factor, but with his size/skill/physicality/smarts factor he could develop into a bottom-six winger.

• Before the lists from the experts come out, here's my attempt of organizing the team's top prospects. For reference: Andersson, Chytil, Howden, Georgiev have graduated:

1) Kaapo Kakko ; 2) Vitali Kravtsov: Both players are expected to make the team out of camp and be key contributors to the rebuild.

3) Igor Shestyorkin: Finally signed, he had has best year last year with a 1.11 GAA and a 95.3 save %.

4) K’Andre Miller: After one more year in Wisconsin, Miller is expected to go pro and he is our team’s best bet to be a top pair defender.

5) Adam Fox: Rangers took advantage of Fox wanting to be here and they acquired him on the discount. Coming off 15 goals and 61 assists in 62 games over his sophomore and junior year in Harvard.

6) Matthew Robertson: Big defenseman who skates well. Similar profile to Skeji at his age: he’s got the tools and if he puts it all together he could be a very complete NHL defenseman.

7) Libor Hajek: Another good sized defenseman who is working on making his game more high-end, but showed a lot in his cup of coffee.

#8 Yegor Rykov: Big, smart and hard working defenseman who has decent enough skating and hands to have a shot.

9) Karl Henriksson: A hard-working, three zone center who puts the pressure on the opponents and is a gifted offensive center who has soft hands. At his size, though, more speed would be helpful in the next level

10) Nils Lundkvist: Smooth defenseman whose calling hard is his offensive and defensive IQ and confidence on the puck.

11) Olof Lindbom: Goalies are always hard to project, but his hockey IQ, good athleticism and refined technique shows promise. Needs more work on being more aggressive in his positioning, especially as an averaged sized goalie.

12) Zac Jones: High-end skill and super smart but in today’s NHL, you can be small and not skate well and still be a coveted defenseman, much to the chagrin of ’94.

13) Ryan Lindgren: Looked comfortable in his cup of coffee with the Rangers. Plays physically and keeps his game really simple to the point where he isn’t more than a 3rd pair D, but like Adam Pelech and Scott Mayfield of the Isles, I can see Lindgren being a long-term piece as a 6th/7th defenseman whose role adjusts throughout the seasons.

14) Leevi Aaltonen: Explosive first step, high compete level, strong wrister and unrelenting pace makes him an intriguing prospect.

15) Morgan Barron: Big, physical center who surprised with a 15g, 19a in 36 games season in his sophomore year at Cornell.

Other forwards of interest: Riley Hughes, Tim Gettinger, Jake Elmer, Ty Ronning, Gabriel Fontaine, Steven Fogarty, Adam Edstrom, Eric Ciccolini, Lauri Pajuniemi

Other defense of interest: Joey Keane, Nico Gross, Tarmo Reuanen, Jakob Ragnarsson, Hunter Skinner

Other goalies of interest: Adam Huska (from UConn)

Ship has sailed (players who won't probably ever play in the NHL and are currently minors depth): Ryan Gropp, Brandon Crawley, Sean Day, Ville Meskanen

• Good report Joe BUT,

I think it's been 3 different places (can't remember where so don't ask :|) where I've read this from so-called experts about your #12

They couldn't understand this pick I do remember that 2 said it was a wasted pick especially with their ALREADY ABUNDANCE of D-men that taking this guy was a big reach and that they should have gone for need like an offensive or grit winger.

Wasn't #9 the midget they said likes the perimeter and doesn't like to be up close and personal as the saying goes?:evil: :)

Since I'm talking small here I'm still hoping that the Ronning kid can develop into someone useful.

• Scott Wheeler of The Athletic released his top-50 NHL drafted prospects today. I'll add his paraphrased analysis

#2) Kakko. Impact should be immediate, should start season as #1 RW and go to option for the Rangers. Power, strength, finishing touch.

#10) Fox. "Undeniably brilliant offensive tools, uncharacteristically good defensive decision making for a player his age". Believes he can be a #1 defenseman.

#36) Kravtsov. Doesn't expect a huge offensive upside, but projects him as a 50-60 point two-way player due to his offensive threat and 6'4 frame.

• Corey Pronman wrote of his review of standout prospects from the World Junior Summer Showcase and he had some nice things to say about Miller. Here’s the rundown:

* quality on both sides of the rink

* size, physicality and skating has always stood out

* compared to last year, even better ability to jump into attacks, make plays and impact transition game

* another scout in attendance called Miller a “high-end prospect”

In his lineup projections for Team USA U20, Proman predicts Miller to be the top pairing LD to be paired with Cam York.

• NHL network had a show on the top 10 prospect pipelines...

Had the Rangers as #1...they were very high on them (Kakko, Kravstov, Shesterkin, Fox and Miller) and couldn’t wait to see them in the NHL...

I don't think that's hyperbole either. They haven't lost any prospects since they were ranked 11th on the Athletic last year and they've added Kakko and Fox while also having Kravstov and Miller's stock rise throughout the season.